WORLD WAR Z – From The Ground Up Pt. 3

IMG_2284

As I sit down to write this, I look out my window and see snow falling and the temperature dropping…..which then makes this the perfect opportunity for us to go back in time to warmer months and heat things up a bit with World War Z!

IMG_2327

So, the last time you guys were reading about this car the wheels had just come in, which meant that possibly the most painstaking part of this process was about to begin: creating flares. Building flares from scratch is no small undertaking, and one that requires a whole lot of planning and time. Our first step was to figure out exactly what kind of shape we wanted the flare to have, and then figure out how to make it from there. Fortunately we happened to have a few different sets of flares sitting on the shelf from various other builds, so we had a few samples that we could kind of line up on the car and at least see what kind of shape we would wind up going with.

IMG_2330

After testing out a few different flares, we had come to a set that matched the shape of the car surprisingly well! Given the options of trying to carve flares out of foam or heavily modify an existing set, we decided that modifying would be the best choice. As you can see, though the shape of the flare is spot on, it’s not quite big enough to get around the big 19″ wheel and tire.

IMG_2335

After pictures surfaced of the car with the flares on, one of the most frequent questions we got from various Camaro guys were “Where can I get ’em!?” Unfortunately for those guys, these flares aren’t the kind of thing you can quickly crack off from scratch. Although working from a pre-existing set of flares certainly cut down on a whole lot of design time, modifying them was most definitely not a quick and easy job.

IMG_2718

The front fenders wound up requiring a bit of extra surgery to achieve that perfect fit. As you can see, this wasn’t really a simple matter of sanding here and trimming there to get them to fit just right. Not only that, but these flares were modified to fit specifically on this exact car with these exact wheels, so it really just didn’t make sense to get involved with attempting to duplicate them for future builds.

IMG_2725

A dizzying amount of time is spent just looking and making minor adjustments when it comes to a job like this. There’s no easy way back once you start filling the holes and smoothing the flares out, so they must first be thoroughly approved! Once the flares are as well fitted as they can be, they get filled in and the tedious process of sanding them smooth begins, which requires lots of sanding…

IMG_2810

….and sanding….

IMG_3136

…and sanding…

IMG_3142

…and…well, you get the point. It sure seems like a lot of work for some flares, but…

IMG_3241

…the end product pretty much speaks for itself. Flares that fit perfectly to the car and wheels, and are indiscernable from a high quality factory mass produced piece.

IMG_3092

If you’ve been following along with us from Part 1, you may remember that this car was going to get a very fancy paddle shift system mated to the automatic transmission, with the intention being for it to shift more like a manual car than an automatic, but with the added cool factor of using the paddle shifters. Little did we know, however, that the paddle shifters would still not do the one thing that this car absolutely needed to do: hold a gear without shifting automatically. Once it was determined that the paddle shifters were a no-go, we found ourselves in posession of a Tremec “Tranzilla” shortly thereafter. Problem solved! The solution may not be quite as flashy as the paddle shift concept, but it’s pretty hard to argue with a 6-speed manual in a brutally powerful car!

IMG_2739

Speaking of brutally powerful, we next needed to get the car tuned by Sasha from Onpoint Dyno and find out just how powerful it was! In the end, the car made an impressive 826whp with nitrous. This car will give most supercars a run for their money on the highway, which is pretty good for an old Camaro!